On occasion I’ll make a list of my pet peeves to share with yous in blog land. Today I will list five pet peeves of mine, not in any particular order.
- American assimilation. People who think immigrants should jettison their language, culture, and ethnicity once they come to the US. Come on people, we’re a multinational country, made up of a variety of languages, people, and ideas! There is no official language in this country. Certainly English is the most common, what’s taught in schools and whatnot, but it’s not the be all end all. American assimilation is a crime and I think it’s high time we embrace our uniqueness as a country and stop trying to make everyone conform to our (white, middle class) views regarding “America.” After all, what’s wrong with speaking more than one language? Christ, if I spoke all the tongues of my ancestors I’d speak English, Irish, and Portuguese. Wolf would speak Sicilian, Italian, German, Irish, and English.
- Speed Limit. It’s the duty of every driver to do at least the speed limit, not under it. If you see a line of cars behind you, pull over and let them pass. Their time is just as valuable as yours.
- Jingling keys. For some reason they put me on edge and make me bare my teeth.
- Respond. If someone calls you, writes to you, or emails you, respond to them. It’s the polite thing to do.
- Thank you notes. People don’t seem have the common courtesy to write a thank you note anymore. If they neglect thank you note duty, then I neglect to continue sending gifts. This is especially true with children. If the parents can’t take five minutes out of their day to sit their kid down and say “fill this out now” then I can’t take hours out of my days to find gifts for their kids.
What about you?